The project Mother Earth aims at improving the resilience and the sustainability of rural families of Mongul by promoting sustainable agriculture practices, in particular the Moringa tree with high nutrition values.
The project has a duration of 2 to 3 years and intends to:
- Construct a training center on sustainable agriculture which will work as a production and processing of Moringa
- Promote the organic gardening of Moringa and its derived products, increasing life conditions of the farmers and guaranteeing the sustainable development of the center
- 16.750 people, farmers and their families – 3.350 are direct beneficiaries
- 250 farmers who are trained on sustainable techniques of agriculture
- 100 Moringa producers who will be trained on the efficient production of the plant and its transformation necessary for selling
- 3.000 women who will be trained on the numerous benefits of the Moringa
Plantation (finished in 2015):
- 1.800 Moringa trees and 3.700 plants in greenhouses
- 1.000 trees of different species to ensure variety
Biological agriculture courses will be offered together with various techniques on the production of organic compost; a biological certification of Moringa; establishment of an association of peasantry; nutritional information and practices on how to combat malnourishment by using Moringa.
In the first year 500kg of Moringa were sold. Currently, the foreign funding of the project is done by CEI and the Bank Intesa San Paolo.